PhD Position / Research Assistant "Spatial Analysis of User-Generated Geodata"
|Online since|| |
13.11.2019 - 09:34
With more than 6,300 employees in research, teaching and administration and its unique profile, TU Dortmund University shapes prospects for the future: The cooperation between engineering and natural sciences as well as social and cultural studies promotes both technological innovations and progress in knowledge and methodology. And it is not only the more than 34,500 students who benefit from that.
The Spatial Modelling Lab (RAM) at the Faculty of Spatial Planning at TU Dortmund University invites applications for a fixed term position as
PhD Student / Research Assistant (m/f/d)
which is to be filled for an initial period of 3 years. The duration of the post will be adapted to the aspired qualification target. The salary follows the regulations of the collective bargaining law in salary class 13 TVL or, if applicable, by transitional law (TVÜ-L). This is a part time position (offering the possibility of obtaining further academic qualifications.
- above-average university degree in spatial planning, geoinformatics, geography, statistics, computer science (the latter preferably in combination with geographical expertise) or cognate disciplines,
- prior knowledge of spatial statistical methods (e.g. spatial autocorrelation, spatial econometrics, geostatistics) and GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS, spatial R-packages),
- interest in the development and accomplishment of a methodologically oriented doctoral project with a close relationship to the research interests of the lab in the intersection of spatial planning, geoinformatics and statistics,
- proactiveness and good proficiency in the English language as well as being a team player and communicator are desired.
The Spatial Modelling Lab (RAM) deals with methodological basic research in the fields of geographic information science and quantitative spatial analysis. The focus is on spatial statistical approaches, but the work of the department is not exclusively limited to this aspect. In addition to methodological research, its application and transfer to geographical and spatial planning issues are also of interest. This way, the lab represents an important, integrating core element of the Faculty of Spatial Planning.
Your main task in the position to be filled will be the planning and execution of independent methodological research in the field of spatial analysis. The topic of your doctorate is not tied to any specific third party funded project and can therefore be defined in acco rdance with your preferences and interests. The specific topic will be intensively discussed and defined in the initial phase of your employment. The PhD should, however, be in the context of the subject area "spatial analysis of user generated geodata". This research activity includes publication in international peer reviewed journals and at conferences. The latter requires a general willingness to travel nationally and internationally. In addition, assistance in the organisation and implementation of teaching courses (2 SWS).
We offer you:
- the possibility of scientific qualification through a doctorate in spatial planning (this is also explicitly desired),
- an internationally oriented and networked, interdisciplinary environment with excellent research conditions,
- an interesting and varied field of activity.
We explicitly note that applications of severely disabled persons are welcome.
Applications enclosing the usual documents (motivation statement, CV, copies of your BA/MA degrees or transcripts where applicable, names and contact information of 2 referees if possible) should be sent until 10 December 2019 stating the reference number w73-19 to:
Technische Universität Dortmund
Herrn Jun.Prof Dr. René Westerholt
FG Raumbezogene Modellierung (RAM)
Alternatively, email applications are welcome and should be posted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information please do not hesitate to contact
Dr René Westerholt
Tel.: +49 (0)231 755 2287
Dortmund, 13 November 2019
|Contact person|| |
Mr Juniorprofessor Rene Westerholt
+49 231 7552287
Type of employment
|Institute / Institution|| |
Spatial Modelling Lab (Faculty of Spatial Planning)
|Period of employment|| |
3-years initial employment period
|Application Deadline|| |
Tuesday, 10. December 2019 - 23:59